Since closing our Williamsburg home in mid-March as COVID-19 began to affect New York City, we’ve watched the world change. Many beloved restaurants and bars are closed, and all of us are scrambling to make sense of a new normal that includes masks, separation and social distancing. For us, that’s included navigating a path forward for our business and our people. Unfortunately, we have furloughed much of our team. This allows our people to retain their health insurance and file for unemployment while we work to bring them back. Our block is quiet, except for the sound of clapping for our frontline healthcare workers every night at 7 PM.
We’ve been quiet, too. But we have been busy. Here’s a look at what we’re up to:
- We’re donating to the Restaurant Workers Community Foundation. This is a deeply personal cause that’s close to our heart, and imperative for us to support. RWCF has provided quick action and transparency, as well as immediate aid and long-term advocacy. We look forward to providing more support, and we hope you’ll join us in donating at https://www.restaurantworkerscf.org/
- Our warehouse was used by long-term partner, World Cares Center, as a staging ground to deliver PPE to essential workers. World Cares Center has been active in disaster response since 9/11, and we store many of their supplies in our warehouse for them to use when disasters occur. Luckily, they had a sizable cache of personal protective equipment that they were able to quickly distribute to hospitals, senior centers, firehouses, EMS teams, and other first responders.
- We are constantly updating our Community Resource Hub. Our goal is to gather as many resources and ways to support as we can to provide people with a useful starting place to help – and we want to hear from you too. Please submit any efforts you know of via our social media platforms.
- We continue to support our long-term partners. This includes our friends at The Stonewall Inn Gives Back Initiative through direct donations, distributing The Stonewall Inn IPA, and aiding in their virtual programming. We also turned our Brooklyn Sound concert series into a streaming Facebook series so we can keep supporting musicians and artists while sharing music with you at home.
- We’re still brewing and shipping fresh Brooklyn beverages. We’re doing our best to make sure you’re able to find fresh beer near you. Use our Beer Finder to plan your next shopping trip in the US, or contact your favorite spots directly to see if we’re in stock. See if your local spots have added delivery or pick-up options, or use apps like Drizly, Mini-Bar, or Taprm to stock up. Please remember to tip with extra consideration to support the folks who make your beer fridge possible.
As the world continues to navigate these times, we will keep working to support our communities around the globe. We hope that drinkers everywhere are finding ways to support their friends, families, and communities through these times. There are always ways to help; be it through a donation, volunteering, or simply checking in with those close to you. Stay informed, wash your hands, and we’ll see you as soon as it’s safe.
Cheers, and stay healthy,
The Brooklyn Brewery