Combine Your Love Of Burgers and Bagels with Barrel Manager Eric’s Everything Bagel Burger
Every New Yorker has their own, very specific go-to bagel order. It could be a classic, like a poppy seed bagel, toasted, lox cream cheese, tomato. Or it could be a newer twist, like a sesame, untoasted, scooped, scallion cream cheese, bacon. Above them all, one still reigns supreme: the everything bagel with cream cheese. Our Barrel Manager and fellow bagel disciple Eric Brown set out to bring the NYC charm of the everything bagel from breakfast to barbecue.
Behold, the Everything Bagel Burger. The familiar flavors of goat cheese “cream cheese” and an Everything-seasoned bun give a classic burger the bagel shop treatment. Pair it up with a Brooklyn Lager for a true New York experience.
- 1 pound ground chuck, 80/20 lean to fat
- 8 oz soft goat cheese (Eric uses fresh chevre)
- 2 oz heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp thinly sliced chives
- 1 red onion
- Salt & Pepper
- 4 everything buns (recipe below)
For the Everything bun:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Make the Everything seasoning: combine 2 tsp each of poppy seeds, sesame seeds, dried onion flakes, dried garlic flakes, and 1 tsp coarse or “pretzel” salt in a shallow dish.
- Brush the tops of four plain hamburger buns with egg white. Sprinkle Everything seasoning on the buns.
- Bake until the tops of the buns are dry and the Everything seasoning sticks to the bun (about 5 minutes).
- In a bowl, combine goat cheese, heavy cream and chives. Mix until combined, adding more cream if necessary, until you get a spreadable consistency like cream cheese.
- Slice red onion into 1/4” thick slices. On a griddle or in a cast iron skillet, cook whole slices of red onion in butter until they’re soft and begin to brown on both sides (about 5 minutes).
- Divide the beef into 4 portions, shape into patties and season both sides with salt and pepper. Then heat a grill, griddle, or cast iron skillet and cook burgers to your preferred doneness. Set aside to rest.
- Butter your everything buns and grill them with the cut side down. Spread mayo on grilled side of buns.
- Put a patty on each bun and top with a slice of grilled onion, a handful of arugula, and a healthy schmear of the herbed goat cheese. Serve with Brooklyn Lager.
Back to all blog posts