We’ve always been full of surprises, but up until now we’ve kept some pretty cool stuff to ourselves. The Brooklyn Quarterly Experiment series (aka BQE) offers you our personal stash of bottle-conditioned beers that take an extra measure of time, space and dedication to pull off.
Once upon a time, we created a beer called “Cuvée Noire”, and this beer lived beyond the strictures of beer styles. It had a stout-like malt structure, Belgian fermentation, and an irresistible personality. We loved Cuvée Noire, but here in Brooklyn our admirations have never been limited to beer. So our brewing team quietly introduced this beer to one of our other enthusiasms – Kentucky bourbon oak. After many months of aging, those six bourbon barrels produced a “Ghost Bottle” nicknamed Cuvée Elijah, some of the tastiest beer we’ve ever made. And then, of course, we drank it all. Ummm…yeah. Sorry about that.
But you will forgive us, because now we’ve made some of this beer for you as well. Brooklyn Cuvée Noire starts with a solid base of German malts, builds color and flavor from British and American roasted malts, gains rum notes from Mauritius raw sugar, grabs a hint of citrus from sweet orange peel, and then ferments under the flag of Belgium. Our Belgian house yeast lends the beer a gentle spiciness on a dry, brisk palate displaying notes of chocolate, coffee and citrus. Then follows six months in oak barrels, which marries all the flavors while adding overtones of vanilla, coconut, and flowers. Finally the beer is bottled completely flat and undergoes a full re-fermentation in the bottle. If this all sounds like way too much, let us assure you that it is, in fact, just right. You’ve never had anything quite like it.
We hope you’ll join us for the First Taste of Cuvée Noire, after all…you never know what else we may have up our sleeves.
The ticket gains you:
- 1 bottle of Cuvée Noire and the ability to purchase 1 additional bottle at $25.
- Entry to The Brooklyn Brewery, speakeasy-style, on Saturday 5/3 at 9pm through an unmarked door.
- An open beer bar (that’s right…no tokens, just delicious beer following freely!) of rare, dark beers. Some of our favorite shady characters will be on hand.
- Black Chocolate Stout Cupcakes from our friends at Ovenly
- Clips from classic film noir as well as a few of our own creation
- Last call happens at 11:30pm and at 12am, everyone better “Get outta here while you can still walk.” [Glenn Ford in The Big Heat (1953)].
Tickets are $40, get yours here: